After the Creative Input in January, ideas for new creations will be submitted to the competition and presented to the jury at the Creative Output event on March 24, 2017. Winners of the competition receive one of the grants adding up to a maximum of 3738 EUR total for realization of their creative work, which will be exhibited in May.
If you have any questions, please contact us via email@example.com.
(Für Deutsch hier klicken: https://imaginary.org/de/project/math-creations) We are calling on students of the art and design fields as well as independent artists and designers to participate in the Math Creations contest for art, design and mathematics. The goal of the contest is new creative ideas based on mathematical concepts and their realization. It is organized by the collaborative research centers “Discretization in Geometry and Dynamics” and “Space - Time - Matter. Analytic and Geometric Structures” in collaboration with IMAGINARY.
- Register for the contest until March 20, 2017 by email
- Read the contest rules here (availbale only in German)
- We recommend that you present your idea in English at the Creative Output Event
- Download slides and additional material here
- Share the Facebook event
January 27, 2017, 6 pm at Technische Universität Berlin (MA004)
Inspiration for contest ideas during an evening of discussion with the following speakers of the two special research fields:
Alexander Bobenko, Matthias Staudacher, Gero Friesecke, Thomas Klose, Thilo Rörig, and Christian Bär
-> Find all slides and additional material here
Here are videos of the talks:
In the event video playback is not supported in your browser please click here.
A professional film crew directed by film-maker Ekaterina Eremenko (Colors of Math 2012, Discrete Charme of Geometry 2015) will record the events as well as the realization process of the winning projects. A feature film will be produced to be screened internationally, starring all winners and their Math Creations.
Short Version of the Contest Rules
Participation in the Creative Input Event is not mandatory in order to participate in the contest. However, your artwork should relate to the topics presented there. There is no restriction in age of the participants or format of the submitted ideas.
Please send us an email until March 20, 2017 to register your submission. It should mention your name (and the names of your team members, if you participate as a group), the title and short description of your idea, which should be presented at the Creative Output event on March 24, 2017. Please also include the amount of money needed to realize this idea, and what it will be spent for.
You will be asked to give a presentation of your idea at the Creative Output Event. The duration depends on the number of participating teams. We will let you know in advance by email. The language of your presentation should be English or German (English is prefered). Please also submit a description of your idea. We encourage you to include sketches and images of your planned work.
- Christoph Gengnagel, Professor and Director of the Institute for Architecture and Urban Development, UdK Berlin
- Udo Walz, Hairdresser, Coiffeur Udo Walz
- Florence von Gerkan, Professor for costume, UdK Berlin
- Joanna Hoffmann, Professor, University of Arts in Poznan, Director of Art & Science Node Berlin
- Almut Grüntuch-Ernst and Armand Grüntuch, Architects, Grüntuch Ernst Architekten BDA
- Jochen Brüning, Professor for Mathematics, HU Berlin
- Christina Bylow, Author, Journalist, i. a. for Vogue, Berliner Zeitung